Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Squirrels' Favorite Nut

Fall has fallen and so have a gazillion acorns in my yard.



Needle Nut by Erica Michaels Needleart Designs
30ct silk gauze
Simply Wool thread from The Gentle Art
Acorn charm

When asked what my favorite season is I always have a hard time answering because I love each of them for different reasons. I have noticed, however, that I seem to have more items in the browns, oranges, and golds of autumn.

I also love acorns and pine cones so I jumped at the chance to stitch this little acorn using the suggested wool threads and loved the warm feel of this slightly fuzzy fiber in my hand. The silk gauze (and acorn charm) was included with the chart along with complete mounting instructions on fabric allowing for the use of a hoop. I chose a mounting method I was more familiar with.

I purchased a ready made framing mat (you know, the kind you buy to put inside a frame to border a picture - cost about $1.50) to hold the gauze. I then taped the outer edges of the gauze to the mat making certain the gauze was square and taut.

This shows the stitched design on gauze mounted to the mat.


Here I’ve removed the tape from the mat (looks like I can use the mat again).


I then cut out around the stitched design, sewed the front & back together and added the charm and hanger.

Now I can use this as a tiny pincushion or scissor fob

or

both!

No comments:

Post a Comment